Sunday, October 11, 2009

Recycling and Natural Medicine

Just for fun, I looked up the list "Stuff White People Like" to see how white I really am.
The results were not that surprising.


-Hating People Who Wear Ed Hardy
I feel rage whenever I see those shirts. White hot rage.

- Moleskin Notebooks
I actually used one today to write about my feelings. I have a lot of them. For a taste of what those might be like, please consider indie music.

- Taking a year off
White-er points: Today's "taking a year off" consideration was Teach For America. I think the only diversity displayed in that program is on the website.

- Sea Salt
I actually have a bottle of sea salt in my closet. I'm not sure why.

- Hummus
Lunch.

- The Onion
I once seriously considered replacing CNN as my homepage in favor of The Onion. Pretension, masked as a "desire to be informed", won out and CNN remains the first thing I see when I used my Mac to sign onto the internet.

- Dinner Parties
I'll just let the website do the talking on this one: "The dinner party is the opportunity for white people to be judged on their taste in food, wine, furniture, art, interior design, music, and books. Outside of dictatorships and a few murder trials, there might not be a more rigorous judgment process in the modern world. Everything must be perfect. One copy of US Weekly, a McDonalds wrapper, a book by John Grisham, a Third Eye Blind CD, or an Old School DVD can undo months and maybe even years of work."

- Public Radio
"This American Life" makes me happy, especially when I'm cooking (using organic food only, of course).

-David Sedaris
I feel as if this list is peeking into my very soul. My white, white soul.

And my personal favorite,
- Breakfast Places
Lately, my friend and I have been going to a little place in downtown Fullerton for Saturday breakfasts. Everything we order is organic, even the coffee. We sit at the tables set up on the sidewalk outside, with older white couples with their dogs and New York Times crosswords. Once, a camera crew from a local news station came up to interview people about our Memorial Day plans. They practically cried when they realized that sitting there in the cafe was the local owner of an art gallery. White person paradise.

So there you have it. Feel free to use this list to gauge how white you are.
Because,
self-awareness is a good thing.


Also, ugly sweater parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment