Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A blog about BIRDS

*This blog post is dedicated to Ilana. Because she is terrified of birds. You are a prophet, Ilana. You always saw it coming. You’re the best one of us all.*


The birds have been doing some crazy stuff lately. I’m not kidding. It’s getting to be ridiculous and I would really appreciate it if they would stop because I’m starting to wonder if the Apocalypse is coming or if they are finally joining forces to kill all humans. We always knew it was a possibility. They always could have joined forces but something kept them from doing it. Some kind of pride or tribal warfare. Who knows why they have always lived alone but the point is they’re acting out now and I don’t like it.

As I said before, my friend Ilana has always seen it coming. There are two true things about Ilana. 1) She wears ridiculously cute clothes all the time and 2) she is terrified of birds. Even the mention of them freaks her out. Now, most people might think this is a weird thing to be afraid of. There are so many other things to worry about, they say. Nuclear war, terrorism, car accidents, cancer, clowns in the shower! Why spend your worry points thinking about birds? They’re so cute and little. And even if you don’t necessarily enjoy them, you can at least think they’re too ignorant and/or wrapped up in territorial disputes to be of any concern to the human population. But we have been fools! All of us! (Minus Ilana, naturally). The birds are coming and it IS NOT IN PEACE. This is not a test! THEY MEAN US HARM!

You might be casually reading this. You might chuckle softly and think, “Ah birds. They cannot harm me!”

FALSE.

How do I know?

EVIDENCE.

ITEM ONE: Today, I saw a bird flying with ITS WINGS BEHIND ITS BACK. WHAT IS THAT. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE. That bird is clearly tapping into the black arts.

ITEM TWO: There is a pigeon that lives in my complex and it is freaky as hell. It just sits there. Quietly. Patiently. It doesn’t even pretend to be alarmed when I walk up to where it’s sitting on the railing. It just looks at me. Like it knows something I don’t know. Like it was at a secret bird meeting yesterday where one of the mad bird scientists unveiled The Master Plan To Destroy All Humans.

I can tell this pigeon thinking, “I’m not afraid of you, human. For years I’ve flown away as you drew near because I thought you could hurt me. But now the tables have turned. Oh yes, the tables have turned indeed. And now I have the power! No longer will I fly away because YOU CAN’T HURT ME. THERE IS A PLAN AND I AM PART OF IT” and then it laughs eviley which to my simple human ears sounds like a soft pigeon “coo”. But I know it is sinister because I feel a chill pierce my heart.

ITEM THREE: a bird literally walked in front of my car last week. I had to swerve not to hit it. It was trying to kill me. And it did it so casually. It had so much disregard for life. Like it knew that it was part of something bigger and if it had to die in an attempt to kill just one human, it would be worth the sacrifice. I know that previously these birds have worked alone because of gang rivalries but now they are united and their sense of community and The One For The Many mentality is strong. It makes them dangerous. The wild cards of the Earth.

ITEM FOUR: I was in the gymnasium at my school the other day and there was a bird flying around the rafters. You know what this means? WE HAVE BEEN INVADED. The birds are making contact!. Showing how far they are willing to go. They are trying to unnerve us and show how easily our defenses can be penetrated by the enemy. They’re showing us how simple it is to cross the invisible line between human spaces and bird spaces. The boundary has been blurred. If we humans were to try to fight against the birds, would we even know where to shoot? Anyone could be a bird now. My mom, my neighbor, my teacher - even Ilana might be a bird in disguise! Anyone!! We can’t trust anyone now because the birds have taken over!

ITEM FIVE: A bird literally walked right up to me and looked at me. Looked at me!! Waiting for food! Well, that was it. I stood up and screamed, “NOW YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR, BIRDS. FIRST YOU TAKE MY HUMANITY AND NOW THIS? IS NOTHING SACRED TO YOU? YOU WANT EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING! HERE. HAVE MY BREAD. HAVE IT ALL. YOU’VE ALREADY TAKEN EVERYTHING THAT MATTERS TO ME WHAT IS ONE MORE THING?? TAKE IT ALL.”

So, I’m in hiding now.

I know the birds are coming.

And when they do, I’ll be ready.

5 comments:

  1. this is fantastic, I'm so glad you have finally realized this and that you are now informing others of the THREAT that birds are. I am proud
    <3 ilana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Gosh. This was my favorite one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that you think I am a bird in disguise. I told you that those feathers in my bed were from the down comforter, honey. Why won't you believe me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen and I experienced this in Rome! IT HAS GONE WORLD WIDE!!!

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32774835&id=68604456#!/photo.php?pid=32774863&id=68604456&fbid=559813742297

    and

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32774835&id=68604456#!/photo.php?pid=32774835&id=68604456&fbid=559813602577

    ReplyDelete
  5. A) I laughed really hard at this.
    B) This hits a personal chord with me, as my family watched Hitchcock's "The Birds" more than occasionally. Now your items of evidence may be mere precursors to an apocalypse by birds (as opposed to the predominant theory of apocalypse by zombies), but I cannot believe the birds are trying to take over the world until I see or hear about a multitude of people being pecked to death or a Tippi Hedron-like woman becomes the main antagonist for a flock of seagulls and crows. I'm just saying that the fear of birds I warrented, but the apocalyptic scare is kind of ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete